Joint Assembly and Senate Public Safety Committee Hearings Held October 9
On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 a special joint hearing was held with both the Assembly and Senate Public Safety Committees chaired by Assemblyman Tom Ammiano and Senator Loni Hancock. Three panels included representatives from the Office of Inspector General and CDCR, a panels of experts, and a panel of family members and advocates. To listen to the webcast of the hearings, click here.
Updates and background information: Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity Blog and our Hunger Strike page. Read why prisoners are participating in this protest and understand their demands.
Please sign the online petition and continue to contact state officials to demand oversight of CDCR to assure that all core prisoner demands are met.
Our message is clear and consistent: End long term isolation! Meet the core demands!
Inmate medical inquiry line: (916) 691-1404
Prison Focus #40 is here! Read our latest newsletter!
- California Prison Focus works to abolish the California prison system in its present condition.
- We investigate and expose human rights abuses with the goal of ending long
term isolation, medical neglect, and all forms of discrimination.
- We are community activists, prisoners, and their families educating and
inspiring the public to demand change.
What CPF does
- We stand up strong against the cruel and torturous conditions of the California prison system, especially advocating for the immediate shut down of all SHU (Security Housing Units) cells and similar conditions of solitary confinement.
- We publish a quarterly magazine, Prison Focus, distributed free to SHU prisoners, $6 a year to other prisoners, and $20 a year to former prisoners, their family members, activists, and friends of CPF.
- We travel regularly to Pelican Bay and Corcoran state prisons to uncover and disseminate information on the current conditions prisoners must endure.
- We welcome new dedicated activists and volunteers to help us continue our mission. If you are interested in joining this important struggle, please contact us now.
Find us on Facebook and Twitter
©2007-2013, All Rights Reserved
Joint Assembly and Senate Public Safety Committee Hearing on SHU
Wednesday, Oct 9, 2013
Join family members, loved ones, and religious leaders in attending these important hearings that will discuss specific legislative proposal to reduce dramatically the use of solitary confinement in California. Make plans now to travel to Sacramento and show your support.
Rally: 11:30 am
Hearing: 1:00-3:30 pm
UN Rapporteur on Torture, Juan Mendez, to speak on SHU conditions
Friday, Oct 18, 2013
Mr. Mendez, a torture survivor himself, will be speaking at the UC Berkeley campus from 6 to 8 pm. Place TBD.